Sunday, September 30, 2012

Being a sophomore in college and not being exaclty sure what to major is vey frustrating to say the least. Not even knowing why you're there is bothersome as well. I know I changed my major at least four times before actually earning enough credits to become a junior. This led me to wonder, what is the true purpose of a couselor or advisor. I remember the counselor at my high school only showing interest in a few chosen students. Those who were deemed to be college material or scored high on their ACT and SAT. Those students either had parents or family members who attended college and knew what it took to prepare. I had neither. So I was clueless until the first semester of my senior year. I can remember one of my uncles telling my dad that I needed to take that ACT if I planned on attending college. Well, before then, I don't even remember being introduced to the ACT. All I ever got from the counselor was help with me schedule for the next semester and making sure I had enough credits to be promoted to the next grade.
During my time as a classroom teacher, I am glad to know that counselors have become much more involved and aren't just schedule makers. I think the high drop out rate had a lot to do with it. But at any rate, whatever it took, I'm glad it happened.
Sometimes I'd think back and become very upset at the amount of time and money I felt was wasted becasue I didn't know what I was doing and no one really took the time to direct my path. Out of this experience has grown a passion to help others find their nicche in life. Everyone has something that they are good at and are purposed to do, it just takes a little digging to get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment